Skip to main content

Ganesh Festival

‘Modak’ is one of my favorite food made at the Ganesh festival. I and Lord Ganesha share one

common thing that is this Modaks. LOL. It is basically fresh coconut and jaggery mixed with poppy

seeds, nutmeg, cardamom, and stuffed inside a sachet made with rice flour and saffron, then

steamed. I think in Malaysia they have something similar as well.


Most of the Hindus celebrate the Lord Ganesh festival in late Aug/early Sept as per the Hindu calendar. Modaks are one of the offerings made for god. It's a 10-day festival and I have fond memories of celebrating it in India while being on Summer vacation. While the whole family, uncles/aunts/cousins come together for 10days and pray to this deity for wealth, knowledge, prosperity. Eat lots of food and have fun! It's like having Christmas all over again.

Lord Ganesha is an elephant-headed god and he is a younger son of Lord Shiva and Parvati.

This festival is celebrated as his Birthday. One of the popular legends says Lord Ganesha was created

by Parvati to guard her while she takes a bath. Meanwhile, Shiva returned home and Ganesha, who didn't know who Shiva was,

stopped him. This angered Shiva and he severed Ganesha's head after a tiff between the two.

Parvati was enraged when she came to know about this; Lord Shiva, in turn, promised to get Ganesha back to life.

So shiva went to search for a child's head facing north but he could only find an elephant's head.

He fixed the elephant's head on the child's body, and that is how Ganesha was born.


Ganesha is widely revered as the remover of obstacles, the patron of arts and sciences, and the

Lord of intellect and wisdom. As the god of beginnings, he is honored at the start of rites and

ceremonies. So everyone prays to this god. Normally one can begin the rituals by getting a

clay idol of Ganesh ji, to worship in the morning and the evening. The entire house is usually

cleaned before getting the idol home and the entire family is gathered to welcome the Lord.

The idol is then worshiped by offerings of Hibiscus flowers, modaks, and prayers. This festival

lasts for 10 days. After praying and celebrating for 10 days the idol is gently immersed in the

lake/river/ocean with heavy-hearted and wishing him to come back soon.


My very fond childhood memories are tied to this festival. I have always enjoyed celebrating

Ganesh Chaturthi in the US and India enjoyed the company of family and friends, and

mainly enjoyed Modaks. 


May Lord Ganesh give us all good health and wisdom to fight with CORONAVIRUS

and hope to celebrate in a big way with my whole family next year.













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Women's day

So hey guys, I've not been writing because I've been busy and stuff... Anyway, so I'll make this quick and easy.    So today, we had our state PE test, and I was pretty proud of my timing!!! And today we had an earthquake drill, so 1st period of PE have to run the mile all over again tomorrow. :( :( :( :(  1st period has my sympathy. And for todays topic: HAPPY WOMEN'S DAY!!! This is to all the girls (and boys)   We are no less than men. We have the ability to thrive. We are independent.  WE AE EQUAL!!       The fight for gender equality shall remain. HAPPY WOMEN'S DAY!!

The Prologue : Her & I

UPDATE: The entire book and the rest of the chapters have been published on Amazon Kindle on Valentine's Day in 2022. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I've always thought of writing a book, maybe a novelette, so here it is. The Prologue of my book. Stay tuned for updates to the story. This is a work of fiction. Any similarity to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. The story, all names, characters, and incidents portrayed in this production are fictitious. No identification with actual persons (living or deceased), places, buildings, and products is intended or should be inferred.  Her & I The Prologue  We had been friends for a while, three years to be exact, but last year was the one -- the time of my life, the time of her life (probably), the time of our lives. It was unbelievable how similar we were, we both took the same classes

The secret

Hi guys! Just one more week until no more SBAC, (for a year)... :( I've just read this book called The Secret by Rhonda Byrne , which is great.. Anyway, there's not much new but I just wanted to convey a message that I have learned over the break.          The Secret of Life The secret of life is a simple subject which is very easy to understand and makes a huge difference in life. But, the surprising factor is that not many people know.      The secret of life is that you need to be positive and not attract negative things .  I know this sounds cheesy and that you already know all this stuff, but it is actually very true. If you want something, then you should ask the universe and be positive . For example:   One who says that "I do not like my teacher!" would be attracting negative things towards them, like their teacher hating them, etc.     While one who says that "I enjoy my PE class.." would be attracting positive things. So, I do